Thursday, June 19, 2008

Having a pet

I have a cat. He's almost 8 years old now but he is still like my baby :p

I know that having a pet is not really frugal but I grew up with pets and it would be hard to live without one.

I found out in January that my cat has a fibrosarcoma, which is a malignant tumor. The vet took it off a few months ago but it's starting to grow back now. It is the kind of things that almost always grow back (95% chance). It will evolve and then my cat will probably have problems walking and eating... and die.

I thought about taking the tumor off again, to give him a few more months, but it would make him suffer again, plus he is terribly afraid of the vet. It is really a hard decision to make. Do I let him live with it till the end (and let him have the best time) or do I make him go through surgery again (at a cost of $500)?

I think the first option is the most reasonnable... but it's hard.

4 comments:

Canadian Saver said...

Frugale, I'm really sorry about your cat :-( Isn't it sad that there are so many cancer cases in our pets?

I lost my Lab to cancer too... He had a major operation to remove a tumor on his hind leg and 6 months of chemo. 2 weeks after his last treatment, I found 2 new tumors... I decided to let nature take it's course (as 1 tumor was inoperable) and he lived 5 months longer than the vet had predicted!

It's a very hard decision... I wish you luck! (I probably spent close to $8,000 or so on him during his last year, but I'd do it all over again if I could have him with me again.... sometimes it's not just the money)

Frugaleconome said...

exactly, all I want is for him to leave well and I'm not sure that another surgery is the best way...

FlipFlop Mom said...

oh i'm so sorry that you have to make this decision....but I think it's the right one!!
I've lost a couple pets so I feel your heartbreak

Unknown said...

I love your blog.I read your maximum of posts and i always found them interesting and impressive.The knowledge shared by all the post are good enough to acquire the whole information about topic.

stansted airport parking